No Purchase Necessary. A Purchase will not Increase Your Chances of Winning.
1. Eligibility: The HOBBIT SCHOOL SCREENING Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the contiguous United States (including Hawaii) who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. Employees of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company or other companies associated with the Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee, are not eligible to enter.
2. Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company, 222 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: By entering the Sweepstakes, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Entry Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 9:00 am ET on November 18, 2013 and ends at 11:59 pm ET on November 24. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
5. How to Enter: Enter using the form located here: http://hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hobbit/home/schoolscreening or on-site at the National Conference for Teachers of English in Boston November 21-24, 2013. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person/e-mail address. Entries will not be acknowledged. The use of an agency or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
6. Drawing: After the Entry Period, Sponsor will select one (1) grand prize winner and four (4) runners up in a random drawing of all entries received. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received.
7. Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners: Sponsor will attempt to notify potential winners within one business days of the drawing. If a potential winner does not respond within two business days after the notice is sent, the Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all remaining entries received. Only three (3) alternate potential winners will be contacted. Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner is a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the documents on his/her behalf. If a potential winner fails to sign and return these documents within the required time period, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place in a random drawing of all remaining entries received. Only three (3) alternate potential winners may be contacted.
8. Prize(s): One (1) grand prize: One (1) domestic screening of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug at a local commercial theater at Warner Bros. Pictures discretion. Screening must take place between Monday, December 9, 2013 and Thursday, December 12, 2013 during regular operating hours. Winner is responsible for all transportation and related costs. Twenty-four (24) copies of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug novel movie tie-in edition 9780544164222; one (1) copy of Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Corey Olsen 9780544106635; Twenty-five (25) movie posters for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Four (4) runners up will receive: Twenty-four (24) copies of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug novel movie tie-in edition 9780544164222; one (1) copy of Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Corey Olsen 9780544106635; Twenty-five (25) movie posters for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. A winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
Additional note for Grand Prize: Time is of the essence in redemption of grand prize screening. Theater booking can take up to five days for studio to set up. Winner will be contacted by a Warner Bros. rep within one day of winning so this booking can be facilitated. Please have first and second theater choice available since not all theaters will be scheduled to play The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Screening will be held for up to 300 people but size will be determined once theater is chosen as theater sizes vary per location. Theater is booked through Warner Bros Pictures at studio discretion. Winner is not to contact theater directly to set up. Reaching out to theater directly could forfeit prize. Deadline to have theater request in to the Warner Bros rep is December 2, but the earlier the better for facilitation and best choice.
9. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize(s) at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
10. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
12. Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Boston, MA. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Boston, MA, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Boston, MA or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Boston, MA.
13. Results: To request a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to ATTN: Hannah Harlow, Trade Marketing, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 222 Berkeley St, Boston, MA 02116. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks of the end of the Entry Period.